Carroll Baldwin Memorial Hall was built in 1921-22 to honor the life of Carroll Baldwin, the beloved supervisor of Savage Mill until his death in 1918.
The Hall, a Maryland Historical Trust site, is a two-story structure built of local materials. The signature stonework of the exterior is river stone from the nearby Little Patuxent River, and was reportedly moved to the site via mule-pulled wagons.
The Richardsonian Romanesque-style building was constructed “for the welfare and happiness of the whole community.” For many years, the Hall hosted movie screenings and staged performances in the upper level, and housed a bowling alley in the basement. From 1966 to 1991 it served as the Savage Branch of the Howard County library system.
Carroll Baldwin Hall still functions as a community center today. In recent years, it has undergone extensive renovations to ensure it will continue to serve as a focal point of the community.